Saturday, March 7, 2009

Releasing the Retention!









O.K. I admit that secretly I like to vacuum. There is something so satisfying about it. You get to see the results immediately. There are those few moments before someone walks across the floor that everything is Perfect!

So today I was having another of my secret pleasures,
when Miriam(our dear friend and guest from China)comes
running in with her hand held interpreter and holds it in front of me.
She has typed something in and the English interpretation is this
" does the upstairs need releasing of the retention"?
I realized she was asking 'does the upstairs need to be vacuumed"?

I really should keep a list of some the interpretations we get from our conversations. Bob most of time just looks at the two of us like what are you talking about? The funny thing is that I most of the time know what she is trying to say. Sometimes she will get frustrated and just start chattering away in mandarin. I admire that she is willing to just keep trying.



She has a funny way of just telling Bob what to do. Every night when we kneel to pray she will tell Bob it is his turn. I get the feeling she is use to being in charge.

On Friday we went to dinner and after made a little visit to the chocolate factory. We were trying to talk (on the translator) when a women walks in and starts talking to her in mandarin. She worked at BYU had served a mission in Hong Kong. Mariam ask her what her favorite was not suspecting that Miriam would then give her a gift.



There have been many choice spiritual and funny moments with our dear friend.

1 comment:

Mindy Gledhill said...

I love to vacuum too, Di! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today. I always love the comments you leave. I love to read your "writing voice" too. There is something so soothing about it.